Bass Lessons .com - the bass resource.


[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WWWBoard ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Granger on January 31, 2000 at 22:38:58:

In Reply to: HIPSHOT EXTENDERS posted by RICH on January 24, 2000 at 00:48:33:

: Does anyone know where I can find hipshot extenders? I'm having trouble finding some that will fit. I play a Stu Hamm "URGE" bass and the machine heads are "one of a kind". They were only made for the "URGE" bass. Any help?

Hey Rich,

I too play an Urge (the 32" scale-not the new ones) and at first I thought "this guy's crazy" the tuners are Gotoh GB7's. But what'dya know, the posts are about an 1/8" shorter on the Urge.

You see, I am in the process of getting 32" fretless built, and had ordered a set of GB7's from Warmoth and compared them to ones on my Urge and whoa! The things you learn 'bout this bass in discussion groups!
Did you know that the cross-sectional shape of the neck was asymmetric? I didn't until some guy pointed it out to me at .

Anyway, you can order a Hipshot Gotoh-like drop D tuner from Stewart Mcdonald for about $65.00 . Then I think you could make it work by making a 1/8" spacer (say out of plexiglass or something) and locate it behind the headstock in between the tuner and the headstock. - you may have to glue it in place. But the way the bushing tightens down on the headstocků it'll adjust to any thickness. You might want to remove a tuner from your Urge to see what I mean.

Hope this helped,

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WWWBoard ] [ FAQ ]
Acoustic Bass - Bass Books - Guitar Books - Guitars For Sale - Bass Links - Music Theory - Saxophone Forum