Re: Crunch Bass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WWWBoard ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Hubbell on June 27, 2000 at 12:21:12:

In Reply to: Re: Crunch Bass posted by El Pájaro on June 02, 2000 at 06:26:54:

: : I heard of something called crunch bass a little while ago, Its a sound that you can get out of your bass by using effects. And I wanted to know how to get that sound... If anyone knows how to do it please help me. And the band Manowar had a great bassist and he played this one song called "Sting of the Bumblebee" and I was wondering where i can get tabs for it.

: Hey there,
: I'm assuming you're talking about applying distortion to the bass. This can be done different ways, but the safest is to get a distortion pedal and try out different settings yourself. Look for pedals that don't affect the lowest frequencies of the bass signal -you want to keep your fundamentals fat and solid. Good bass distorion units split the signal so only the higher frequencies get affected.
: Other way to go is to split the signal yourself (you'll need a crossover for that) and applying a full-range distortion to the high frequencies only.
: Hope this helped,
: El Pájaro.

One thing that I've found that works really well is to use an A/B box with one signal going to the bass rig and one going to a guitar amp, that way you keep the lows but still get some gnarly distortion, the guitar amp acts as a natural crossover, just dont drive it to hard because its used to wimpy guitars, not badass bass!

Scott Hubbell

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WWWBoard ] [ FAQ ]