Posted by Bob 'Skippy' Blechinger on December 12, 2000 at 07:52:25:
In Reply to: Will LUTHITE give me cancer??? posted by Denny on December 11, 2000 at 19:45:11:
: This bass really smells..I'm gonna leave it out of the case for a while, like someone said, I can't remember your name right now...but my b/f thinks it might give me cancer??? Nooo!
It shouldn't give you cancer.
I'd imagine that what's happening is that some solvents, etc., are evaporating from the finish, which is perfectly normal for a new guitar or bass.
If the instrument has been in a case for awhile, the odors of the solvents are going to be more noticeable, but it shouldn't be a problem; just let it sit out for awhile, and it should be fine.
These days, there are so many federal regulations about *anything* that's even *remotely* carcinogenic that it would be highly unlikely that the finish on your bass would be allowed to be used if there was *any* potential danger.
You can relax now. :-)
Post a Followup